Today intrusion detection is an important protection method for networks in order to combat all the security weaknesses present in any system which also includes a human element of error.No matter how strong the user access policies are, hackers always find out a way to get around the system by tricking an employee into revealing access credentials.
If hackers have access, they can occupy a corporate system for several years even without being detected. Such types of attack are known as Advanced Persistent Threats (APT) which are majorly done on large websites.If your website hosting provider can’t give you the best web hosting solutions then it is useless to continue hosting services. However, you have an option to use Intrusion Detection Systems as a part of managed hosting services.
IDSs Aims To Root Out APTs
A host-based intrusion detection system (HIDS) monitors and analyze the internals or externals of any computing system, network packets, network interfaces, etc. similarly in a way like a network-based intrusion detection system (NIDS) works.A hosting IDS is capable to monitor every part of the state of a computer system and the dynamic behavior based upon its configuration. Besides, a dynamically inspecting network, HIDS can detect which program accesses what kind of resources?
For example, a word-processor suddenly and inexplicably starts modifying the system’s password database. Now, a HIDS looks in the state of a system, see whether the stored information is in RAM, log files, file system, or elsewhere. It now checks the contents if they are changed by intruders or any update led the change to happen on its own. You can think HIDS as an agent which monitors if anything or anyone, internal or external, has bypassed the system’s security policy.
There are different types of hosting: web hosting, shared hosting, managed hosting services, business web hosting, corporate hosting, DNS hosting, cloud-based hosting, etc.
A web hosting tool that detects suspicious elements works well with any HIDS, and this article will give you a brief about top 5 best web hosting tools which detect suspicious elements.
But, before that let’s see how HIDS works in our computers?
Working of HIDS
HIDS focuses on monitoring and checking log files. Most of the applications generate log messages and records them to files which over time let you know spotting indications of intrusion. Storing every log message increases the amount of data, and an ordered manner data helps in identifying the right log file. So, the first step is organizing the file names and log file server structure.
The next step is implementing a HIDS to get automated detection. A HIDS searches through log messages that have recorded malicious activity with the help of set detection rules and policies. A HIDS web hosting tool prevents your system from the latest attack vectors, APTs, etc. which acts as a danger to the web domain, web hosting, and your online business.
The HIDS tool will add benefit to your website hosting services and gives a secured chance to prevent any intrusion via online mediums. Being equipped with the intrusion detection system’s knowledge, let’s take a look at the 5 best host-based intrusion detection tools.
5 Web Hosting Tools Will Detect Suspicious Elements
A host-based web hosting tool will add extra security features to your purchased affordable web hosting services.
- ClamAV Tool: Clam AntiVirus (ClamAV) is an open-source cross-platform antivirus software tool-kit which detects many types of malicious software and viruses. It also acts as a server-side email virus scanner and works on Unix, AIX, HP-UX, BSD, Linux, OpenVMS, macOS, OSF (Tru64), Solaris and Microsoft Windows.
- PyXsoft Tool: It protects your server and data while stopping hackers from ruining your business. It checks the network traffic, blocks hacking attempts and protect from cyber threats. It is an antimalware basically made against attacker scripts, FTP uploads, SQL injection, etc. which adds new security rules every time a new threat or attacking medium is detected.
- Imunify360:It is the best choice among various HIDS in web hosting companies who are very serious about hosting securities. This tool scales your needs and provides a secure and reliable multi-layered defense architecture web hosting service. It notifies the admin about the security issues and updates vulnerable packages automatically.
- BitNinja:It is a full-stack server security tool which enjoys real-time protection, threat analysis, and protect servers from getting compromised. It also protects against, bot attacks, spamming, phishing, DDoS attacks, and many more.
- Kaspersky Plesk:It is an antivirus for your server extension which scans the incoming and outgoing traffic, removes malicious codes from email messages, automatically update virus signatures and is categorized under the mail security.
“Real-time visibility provided by HIDS adds security and determines the nature of attacks.”
There are several advantages of using intrusion detecting web hosting tools, but two major advantages are as follows:
- HIDS monitors the system activities
- Easy network-based detection
I have no doubt that the intrusion detection system is going to stay for a long and these 5 web hosting tools will detect suspicious elements extensively more with the future updates in web hosting services.
Customers always focus on buying cheap hosting services and gets a victim of APTs attacks because of intrusions and lack of server security. However, with the host-based detection systems, it is possible to stop attacks on servers, database, and networks. This article leads you briefly towards the meaning of server-based intrusion detection tools and how they help in adding security to the web hosting companies.
Alisha is a Director (Operations) who also possesses excellent writing skills and regularly writes on diverse niches like history, travel, wildlife, lifestyle, and technology. She is equally acquainted with producing high-quality digital marketing content that attracts the visitors and keeps them engaged.